skip to Main Content

Charlotte teenager reports assault after high school football game

A student at South Mecklenburg High School reported that a “group of players” assaulted him after attending a football game hosted by a rival school last week, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.

Jackson Cooper, 18, will undergo surgery on Tuesday to fix the broken nose he suffered in the assault on the Myers Park high school campus, his mother, Mindy Cooper, told The Observer on Friday.

jackson coope_fitted.jpeg
Jackson Cooper, a student at South Mecklenburg High School, told Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department that a “group of players” from Myers Park High assaulted him after the October 22 football game between the two schools. Cooper had a broken nose, said his mother, Mindy Cooper. Courtesy of Mindy Cooper

“My boy is 5ft 11in, he weighs 145 pounds, he didn’t stand a chance,” Cooper said. “He’s a lover, he’s not a fighter.”

The assault happened at 9:30 p.m. on October 22, after the game at school, 2400 Colony Road, according to a police incident report.

Police classified the teenager’s injuries as “minor,” but Mindy Cooper said it was not a minor incident.

In a video posted to Twitter on October 28, a number of people wearing Myers Park football gear can be seen shouting curses and charging at another group of people. An individual in a white tank top, who Cooper identified as his son, can be seen leaving the area with a bleeding nose.

“We are aware of an altercation that has occurred,” a spokeswoman for Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools told The Observer in an email on Friday. “It’s an ongoing investigation.”

The police report described the offense as a “simple assault”. Charges have yet to be filed as security footage of the incident is grainy and Jackson is unsure which players assaulted him, Cooper said.

Cooper said his son may have “run his mouth”, but that doesn’t excuse the players for doing what they did.

The assault sparked further altercations across campus, including a brawl in the middle of a roadway, she said.

“It was just nothing I have ever seen before at a high school game,” said Cooper, who attended the game with her husband and daughter.

Cooper said a school resources officer told him that four separate incidents occurred on game night, including one that injured an elderly woman.

“I want something done, this was not a safe campus,” she said.

The address of Myers Park High School appears on five police reports for non-aggravated assault since August 1, according to data from CrimeMapping.com. Two more assaults were reported at nearby Alexander Graham Middle School, according to the crime tracking site.

The assault report and others came after South Meck’s 3-0 win over the Mustangs, who entered the game fourth in the Observer Sweet 16. 15 Sabers hadn’t beaten Myers Park since. seven years after being outscored 144-6 in their three previous encounters.

Writer Langston Wertz contributed to this story.

This story was originally published October 29, 2021 4:03 pm.

Related stories from Charlotte Observer

Jonathan Limehouse is a breaking news reporter covering all major events in the Charlotte area. He has covered a litany of other rhythms in public safety, education, public health, and sports. He is a proud graduate of UNC Charlotte and a native of Raleigh.


Source link

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top