skip to Main Content

Philadelphia police are investigating a double shooting at a football field near the Temple University campus

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — Police are investigating a double shooting Friday at a football field in North Philadelphia near the Temple University campus.

The shooting occurred around 6 p.m. at the intersection of 11th Street and Cecil B Moore Avenue.

Video obtained by Action News showed an argument in the stands above the training ground.

Police say a 35-year-old man was shot in the left hip. Another 35-year-old man was also shot in the right hand.

The video showed two men among a group of adults starting to walk away, then one of them turned and pointed a gun, shooting two male victims.

Both victims were taken to Temple University Hospital, where they were listed in stable condition.

“It looks like there are six people in the stands, an argument has ensued, one of the two men is arguing and you see him pull out a gun. He starts shooting at the man he was arguing with and hit one of the other men who was just sitting in the stands,” said Capt. John Walker, who leads the Philadelphia Police Department’s non-fatal shooting unit.

Temple University posted a social media alert urging people to avoid the area.

The stands on the football field are owned and operated by St. Joesph Preparatory School on the Temple University campus.

Many students who live in student accommodation surrounding the grounds took photos and videos.

The St. Joe’s Prep lacrosse team was wrapping up practice for the day and a junior football team was on the practice field.

Olivia Malone watched the argument escalate from her Temple University apartment.

“People were just trying to jump the fence and get out, and the cops were there within two minutes,” said Malone, a sophomore.

St. Joe’s Prep was supposed to hold a football practice at the field on Saturday, but is moving to another location.

In an email to the school, St. Joe’s Prep officials said they will not be using the land for the foreseeable future.

A youth soccer team coach didn’t want to go on camera but feared the shooting would reflect badly on the soccer team full of little kids.

Once the coaches and children got clearance from the police, they continued training.

Police did not say whether the adults involved in the argument and shooting were there for either practice.

So far, no arrests have been made.

Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All rights reserved.

Back To Top