skip to Main Content

South Devon Football League Reports

00:00 February 15, 2022

There was another big upset in the Herald Cup last weekend with lower-tier reserves Bovey Tracey sending Premier Division side Galmpton United 2-0 on their return to the newly refurbished Mill Marsh Park.

Bovey took the lead on the hour mark, when Brad Rooney’s shot was saved but Ben Moyle saved the rebound. It took just seven minutes for the Moorlanders to double their lead. Moyle took out Alistair Chuchuk on the left and Bovey’s leading scorer found Matt Churchill, who sealed the win and set up a final draw at home to Division One Paignton Saints Reserves.

“We are absolutely thrilled,” Bovey manager Sean Hawkins said. “There is a great feeling in the locker room, a very good atmosphere between the guys after a deserved result.”

“It’s a fantastic club and a fantastic community that we’re a part of. It’s great to put on a performance like we did for that community, the people who dedicate their time to the club.

“It was our first time on the new ground and the first time here since the club redid the home dressing room. The guys were really looking forward to it and they did it justice.”

Unfortunately for Galmpton United, the cup defeat was followed by a league exit as the club made the decision to withdraw from the SDFL.

The Premier League clash at Bull Point saw The Windmill run out of clear winners over Meadowbrook Athletic. Rhys Walton scored four of the hosts’ goals as they won 7-1. Windmill will face East Allington United at Poole Lane for a place in the quarter-finals.

The fight for top spot in the TCS SDFL Premier League saw Brixham AFC reserves overtake opponents Buckfastleigh Rangers with a 1-0 victory at Wall Park. Mark Griffiths scored the decisive goal in a hard-fought game.

Salcombe Town increased the pressure on the top three with an impressive win at Watts Blake Bearne. Ash Yeoman scored twice as the Crabs won 5-3, John Barrow, Lee Morgan and Ben Tapper also contributed goals. Elburton Villa Reserves moved up to fifth with a 3-0 triumph at Ivybridge Town Reserves. Barton Athletic are still looking for their first point of the season after losing 2-0 at home to Newton Abbot ’66,

Kingsteignton Athletic were without a game last weekend, opening the door for Waldon Athletic to return top of the Premier League, courtesy of a home win against Ashburton, who were unable to raise a squad.

One point behind the Clarets, and with two games in hand, are Paignton Saints Reserves who won a full derby 5-0 against Paignton Villa at Coach Road. Jake Powell moved to No. 1 on the division’s top scorer list with a hat-trick. Sam Winstanley and Thomas Thorpe were also on target.

Two Daniel Grute goals helped Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves reach the quarter-finals of the Fred Hewings Cup, with Rangers beating Newton Rovers Reserves 4-1 at Duckspond.

Division Two side Paignton Villa Reserves automatically progressed, due to Galmpton’s withdrawal, while Ryan Thompson’s brace helped Division Three side Newton Abbot ’66 Reserves knock Waldon Athletic Reserves out of Division Four.

Division Four reserves Brixham Town celebrated something of an upset with a 4-1 win over Division Two reserves East Allington United.

Craig Brenton scored four goals for Ivybridge Town Development as they won 7-1 at Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves. Babbacombe Corinthians reserves are also through as they secured a 4-0 win at Watcombe Wanderers Thirds. The last remaining place in the quarter-finals will go to either Torquay Town reserves or Watts reserves Blake Bearne, who will face off on February 12.

Unbeaten Torquay Town and Ilsington Villa are still top of Division Two. Town won 3-0 at Newton Abbot Spurs Thirds while Villa won 4-0 against SGT Police Reserves, Dan Langford and Matt Warman with two goals apiece.

Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves (Red) 1 – 7 Ivybridge Town Development

Barton Athletic (Blue) 0 - 2 Newton Abbot '66

Barton Athletic (Blue) 0 – 2 Newton Abbot ’66

Back To Top